Daniel B. Short - Biography
- Elected as State Representative for the 39th District in November 2006
- Former House Minority Whip 2008-2010
- Served four, two-year terms as Mayor for the City of Seaford, leaving office in March 2006.
- Starting in 1995, served four years as a Seaford councilman.
- Past Chief of the Seaford Volunteer Fire Department, Inc., and is still an active firefighter with over 30 years of service.
- Appointed to the Accountability and Ethics Committee of the Delaware Volunteer Fireman’s Association.
- Appointed to the Financial Advisory Board by the Delaware State Fire Commission to advise the Mid-Sussex Rescue Squad.
- Inducted into the Delaware Fire Service Firefighters Hall of Fame in 1982 and also awarded the Heroic Fireman of the Year award by the Delaware State Chief’s Association for saving a life during a swimming accident.
- Former president of the Sussex Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors and the Delaware Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors.
- The owner of Short Insurance Associates - an independent insurance agency in Seaford, established January 2002. Dan Short has more than 34 years of experience in the insurance industry.
- Graduated from Seaford High School and earned an Associate’s Degree from the University of Delaware through Delaware Technical and Community College. Also obtained his Certified Health Consultant (CHC) designation through the Blue Cross Association and Purdue University.
- Is a member of the American Legion Post in Seaford.
- In 1997, received the highest award the Delaware Insurance Agents Association presents: the “Douglas F. Bennetti” Public Service Award.
- In 2006, was awarded a public service award by the AFRAM (African-American) Festival and served as the Grand Marshal of the event that year.
Received the Legislator of the Year Award from First State Community Action.
Rep. Short and his wife, Debbie, have been married 37 years. They have one daughter, April, and a son-in-law, Aaron, who are also in the insurance business with Short Insurance Associates, Inc. The Shorts, who are both Seaford natives, have three granddaughters - Lexie Carolyn Popelas (11) and Kaylee Lynne Popelas (4) and Myla Dawn Popelas (2) – and a grandson, Caden Patton Popelas (5). Rep. Short enjoys fishing, hunting, boating and riding his Harley Davidson in his spare time.